South Indian Coconut Rice

South Indian Coconut Rice recipe
Basic Information
Prep Time: Under 30 min
Cook Time: Under 15 min
Serves: 2 people
Ingredients
  • About 2 cups freshly grated coconut
  • 1 cup of medium grained rice, soaked in some water for at least 20 min and cooked such that grains are separated. Left overs work great too.
  • 2 tsp split black gram (urad dal)
  • 2 tsp Bengal gram (channa dal), soaked in some warm water for 10 minutes
  • 3-4 dried red chillies (or as per taste)
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1/4 tsp asafoetida powder
  • Few sprigs of curry leaves
  • Few cashews (anywhere from 5-10)
  • Salt to taste
Method
1
Before going into the recipe, let us first see the grating process of coconut.
South Indian Coconut Rice recipe
2
As I said, I have this wet grinder which I use to make the traditional Idli/Dosa batter. I have an attachment - coconut grater - which is such a boon for me .
South Indian Coconut Rice recipe
3
I let the grinder run and place one half of the broken coconut and place it on top of the grater.
South Indian Coconut Rice recipe
4
Slant it on the sides to grate the coconut from all the sides. Unless you are highly skilled, pls dont talk on the phone or day dream like me. I was so lost in nostalgia thinking of me scraping fresh coconut in my mom's kitchen which she needed for making absolutely delicious coconut burfi. (She otherwise did not use coconut in any other dish - since my father had diabetes). Anyways - thanks to all that day dreaming - guess what happened?
South Indian Coconut Rice recipe
5
This of course!!!! Of course its a teeny weeny cut, but you want to be careful around it. I, of course, made sure that I din't lose my blood over the coconut! It would have been such a 'bloody' mess ;) ..and such a waste of.....my blood of course! What did you expect me to say? Coconut? Umm....well I sure know where my loyalties lie - not so much of yours!!
South Indian Coconut Rice recipe
6
OK OK will go to the recipe (now I realize how my allotted blog drafting time always seems so short..I write way too much nonsense! oops there I go again!!!). Once you are done with the scraping, you get some fresh coconut. I love eating fresh coconut! Tastes Yum!
South Indian Coconut Rice recipe
7
Now meanwhile, in a 1 tsp oil (or ghee for added flavor), temper the seeds. Once they start popping, add the black gram, drained bengal gram, red chillies, cashews , curry leaves and asafoetida. You don't have to add curry leaves now - can add it later. But I prefer this way.
South Indian Coconut Rice recipe
8
Once the lentils have browned and cashews roasted, add the grated coconut and stir for 5-10 min or until the coconut gets toasted and turns slightly reddish brown.
South Indian Coconut Rice recipe
9
Now add the rice.
South Indian Coconut Rice recipe
10
Mix well until combined.
South Indian Coconut Rice recipe
Serve hot. It's good plain, with papad (or popadam) or with delicious roasted potatoes!
South Indian Coconut Rice recipe
Credits to  DK
Www.chefinyou.com

Leave a Reply

Thank you for leaving comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...